Standards of Teaching Vocabulary in Arabic Language Instruction Programs for Non-native Speakers in Light of Semantic Field Theory
Abstract: Vocabulary processing holds a central position in Arabic language instruction programs for non-native speakers. It is a basic requirement for learning and a prerequisite for proficiency. Teaching vocabulary is not a one-way process; rather it requires teaching all receptive and productive aspects of the language in an integrative way. Research problem, this research investigates the following questions:
- What are the vocabulary-specific needs of Arabic language learners?
- How could the objectives of teaching vocabulary be possibly achieved through Semantic Field Theory?
- How could vocabulary selection criteria be compatible with semantic field types?
- What are the vocabulary teaching criteria in light of Semantic Field Theory?
- Research Method, The analytic descriptive method was used to achieve the following:
- Analysis of semantic field theory premises, foundations and methods of constructing semantic maps of vocabulary.
- Analysis of vocabulary significance, selection criteria, types, functions, and learning strategies.
- Preparing an inventory of vocabulary teaching standards in light of Semantic Field Theory.
- The significance of teaching vocabulary
- Premises and foundations of Semantic Field Theory
- Vocabulary Selection Criteria
- Preparing an inventory of vocabulary teaching standards, using the following semantic field types:
- Types of vocabulary: Concrete – abstract
- Connotations: human – cosmic – human-cosmic
- Semantic relationships: synonym fields – antonym fields, graded fields
- Types of text: Literary– Quranic– prophetic – poetic
- Structural fields: Lexical – syntactical
- Relationships within semantic fields: synonymy (synonyms) – antonym (antonyms) – hyponymy (hyponyms) – opposition (Reverses/opposites).
Standards of Teaching Vocabulary, Arabic Language Instruction Programs for Non-native Speakers, Semantic Field Theory
Copyright (c) 2019 Mahmoud Jalal El-Deen Suleiman
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Creative Commons License: CC BY-NC
Creative Commons Rights Expression Language (CC REL)